a perfect world for girls! Create that vision as an art project, then
take action to make it real. Leaders, after all, are visionaries!
This is an 8-session Journey, but could be modified to fit your troop’s needs.
Field Trip Ideas and More...
- Visit art museums, galleries, studios or artists – learn about women
artists and how to express one’s vision through various mediums
- Explore various plays or other art forms focusing on women’s issues or utopian societies
- Visit sites for your Take Action Project
Come learn about Natural Grocers, a company founded by a female who wanted to make big changes in the world for the health of her family, friends and everyone else she could reach.
Seniors will complete an art project with medium of her
choice such as paper mache, clay, paper, fibers, paint, wood, metal,
Explore the Chinese culture with Randi Hacker the Chinese Outreach Coordinator with the East Asian Center at the University of Kansas.
Explore the Japanese culture with Erika Norikami, Japan Outreach Coordinator with the East Asian Center at KU. She will come to your troop meetings and offer workshops.
Programming Ideas for Troop Meetings
Research others’ views of Utopian Societies – various artists’ versions,
- Write a letter of appreciation to a woman leader or mentor
- Hold an art show so that others can view the girls’ Girltopia art projects
- Host a Leadership Talk Show – described on page 33 of girl book
- Create slogans that represent their Girltopia vision – put on buttons, bumper stickers or t-shirts
- Recruit potential role models that can help girls on journey (especially good
for the Guide It and Connect sections)
- Have a Japanese Tea Ceremony
- Includes information on writing press releases
• Troops can always practice writing press releases and can even request assistance from the council’s Marketing and Brand department
For large stories or major city papers/ other major media sources (i.e.
radio & television), please turn any press releases or stories in
to the council Marketing and Brand department for review
• For local neighborhood news/church, bulletins/etc., it is recommended to confer with the Marketing and Brand department but not required
- Each girl should have a copy of the Journey book
- The green boxes throughout the Facilitator Guide have great additional programming options