A fashion-savvy spider named Dez will show you how you and your friends can combine your own power into team power and then use it to generate community power.
This is a 7-session Journey, but could be modified to fit your troop’s needs.
Community Programs and Field Trip Ideas
- Comic book store
- Visit a publisher, writer, library or book store
- Visit possible places where girls can do their take action project
- Links to specific community partners coming soon!
Programming Ideas for Troop Meetings
- Research heroines – maybe have them dress up like their heroine and share what they learned at a troop meeting or “power of one” celebration
- Blindfold trust games or other team building activities at a troop meeting or campout
- Research local community issues (past or present) - look at both sides of the issue, visit with people involved
- Bring in examples of comic books, plays or stories that they can use for inspiration
- Volunteer for an animal shelter like the girls in the story
- Pages 80 and 81 of the Facilitator Guide have a few activities to help girls look at their communities
- This is when it starts being stressed that girls should do a lot of planning in their take action project
- Great descriptions of take action projects - it would provide a great basis for your Bronze, Silver or Gold Awards
- You might want to extend the Journey to follow the girl book in order
- Each girl should have a copy of the Journey book
- The green boxes throughout the Facilitator Guide have great additional programming options