Cadettes put the me in MEdia as this journey encourages them to explore the great big multimedia world around them, then remake media to better match the reality they know. Along the way, Cadettes become aware of the value of media, its limitations and its power, and the power girls have to lead and inspire others.
This is a 8 session Journey, but could be modified to fit your troop’s needs.
Field Trip Ideas and More...
- Microsoft and Apple stores provide various computer/technology related classes.
- Visit a television studio or radio station or a local newspaper
- Anywhere you can “power down” – museums, the park, the zoo, camping
- Page 57 of the Leader Guide provides some more great ideas
Programming Ideas for Troop Meetings
Watch the Golden Eaglet video on the history of Girl Scouts – available at the council office.
- Have a movie night and watch old movies.
- Have girls use a computer, mp3 player or their phones to share songs that remind them of the people in their troop or the Girl Scout Promise and Law.
- Visit a local film festival, explore one on the web, or create your own.
- Look at various media campaigns like Dove’s Real Beauty or It Get’s Better
- Put together a media scavenger hunt that could be indoors or outdoors and could involve the internet, television, billboards and more.
- Participate in Girls Speak Out! a PSA competition sponsored by GSUSA.
Girls this age are avid users of computers and the internet – it would be good to review an internet safety pledge prior to working on this Journey
- YouTube can be a great source for various television ads, media clips and music videos
- Each girl should have a copy of the Journey book
- The green boxes throughout the Facilitator Guide have great additional programming options