Setting the Record Straight about Girl Scout Cookie Misinformation
Cookie season is always a time we receive a lot of press coverage. Generally, the coverage is positive and highlights the valuable impact Girl Scouting and the cookie program has on girls. However, there are groups who use this time of year as an opportunity for publicity, by attacking Girl Scouts. We have recently been alerted that an online article is calling for a boycott of Girl Scout cookies based on false information.
We find it unfortunate that anyone would boycott Girl Scouts in a misguided effort to advance their own agenda at the expense of millions of girls throughout the country. Girl Scouts is a non-profit organization with a century-long history of providing girls with the skills they need to become our next generation of leaders.
First and foremost, the mission of Girl Scouts of NE Kansas & NW Missouri is to build girls of courage, confidence and character, who make the world a better place. Our focus is on building girls’ leadership, not a political agenda.
We want to supply Girl Scout volunteers and families with accurate information to respond to questions they might receive. Below are some key facts.
- Girl Scouts does not and has not endorsed any political party or politician.
- There is no relationship—past, present or planned—between Planned Parenthood and Girl Scouts of NE Kansas & NW Missouri. In addition, Girl Scouts of the USA does not have a relationship or partnership with Planned Parenthood.
- Girl Scouts does not take a position on reproductive issues. We believe these are matters that are best discussed within the family.
- We feel our role is to help girls develop self-confidence and good decision-making skills that will help them make wise choices in all areas of their lives.
- Girl Scouts actively encourage every girl to become a stronger member of her faith community.
Please read our Q&A document
for additional answers regarding the false criticism and claims that have come to Girl Scouts from various sources.
We know a majority of cookie customers support the organization, as well as understand and appreciate the impact you make as a dedicated Girl Scout volunteer. If you should need additional resources to show customers, please download and distribute:
If you receive additional questions, please feel free to direct them to our communications team at email@example.com.